Laboratory Automation Programmer and R&D Experimentalist @ HIL Applied Medical - October 201918 October 2019
Description of the Position:
We are looking for an R&D scientist with hands-on experience in Laboratory Automation and Instrument control, to participate in cutting edge research in the field of high intensity laser-plasma based proton acceleration.
You will work with a team of physicists and engineers in a high-power laser laboratory. This position reports to the Director of Research.
The position has two aspects:
• MAIN ASPECT: The Automation programmer is responsible for the automation and control of various experimental setups. S/he works with a high level of autonomy, yet in close collaboration with the experimental R&D team; developing, constructing and maintaining the software that controls the experiments and automatic data acquisition.
• ADDITIONAL ASPECT: The R&D Scientist is a hands-on, multidisciplinary experimental scientist. S/he works as an integral part of HIL’s R&D team, developing and constructing experimental setups, acquiring and analyzing experimental data. S/he is expected to be knowledgeable of the relevant scientific literature and to follow the progress of the scientific community in the relevant field.
• Demonstrated experience in automation and instrument control programming (LabVIEW or other similar programs) – Must!
• MSc or BSc in physics / engineering (or other equivalent degree).
• Hands-on experience with computer-controlled electronics – strong advantage.
• Expertise in one or more of the following fields is an advantage: hands-on experience in optics lab, laser operation and maintenance, plasma physics, nuclear physics, image processing, motion control, optical design, Solidworks designing.
• A desire to work in a challenging, dynamic startup environment.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Simultaneous work on several projects.
• Good technical skills.